[c-nsp] smartnet fineprint (or hardware stock in case of not so common hardware (100GE))

bas kilobit at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 05:25:59 EDT 2011

Hi All,

We are in the process of ordering our first 100GE router interface.
It will probably be the "1X100GBE=" with FP140 for the CRS-3.

Normally we keep our own cold spare stock, however with 100GE we will
not be able to do so straight away.
We're thinking of getting 24*7*4 smartnet for the linecard.

As 100GE hardware is not widely deployed anytime soon Cisco's cold
spare stock will probably not be abundant.
After 15 years in this industry I know that sometimes everything that
can go wrong will go wrong.
So what happens if a couple of other 100GE customers have hardware
issues before we do, and the stock is depleted.

Will Cisco fly in linecards from other countries (We're in Europe
b.t.w.) or pull them out of labs ?  Or will they simply say "Mea
Culpa" and better luck next time?

Can anyone point me to the actual fineprint of Cisco in relation to
this? (I couldn't find the right google question)

And more importantly, does anyone have real life experience in a
situation like this?

Thanks in advance,

Bas