[c-nsp] Internet access router in a multi-homed setup

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Oct 12 13:44:25 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 15:30 +0200, Anton Björn Zeidler wrote:
> Two providers, connected via ethernet, 50MBit to each provider.
>
> In my opinion we should use BGP, but I'm not sure if full-table is necessary.
> This leads to the question what hardware we should use...
>
> My first idea was to use 2x 3560E with the services image and receive
> a limited set of routes (+default) via BGP. That way we wouldn't need
> another access switch.
> As the 3560E is limited to 11k routes I'm no longer sure if this is good idea.

We have two connections to the same ISP and use 3560G's running BGP and
receiving just default routes. We're happy with it; if you only need
failover and no load-sharing the price/performance of the 3560G/E/X is
hard to beat.

Beware that the CPU is weak, and make sure to use access-lists and
policing to counter problems. OTOH the device can actually protect
itself nicely in hardware, so if done right it will survive more than
most software routers.

I'd say use the 3560.

--
Peter