[c-nsp] Faster BGP Failover

Ryan Wilkins ryan at deadfrog.net
Wed Oct 12 23:12:45 EDT 2011

My question is why would you not consider it?  I support a couple ISPs and am considering asking AboveNet and Cogent to run BFD with one of the ISPs where there are two BGP sessions established to each upstream already.  Everything I've read seems to indicate that BFD decreases the failover time and with less resources than using low timers on BGP to do the same thing.  I also have a customer with two wireless links to the same ISP, one 1 Gbps link that quits working when it rains heavily and a 300 Mbps link that doesn't quit in the heavy rains come.  I've configured the customer to run BGP (default route) with BFD for failover purposes and it works beautifully.  I just trying to understand why ISPs wouldn't or shouldn't do this.  Any insights?