[c-nsp] Downsides of combining P and PE functions into a single box

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Oct 19 14:55:34 EDT 2011

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 01:03:43 AM Jared Mauch wrote:

> 	If your customer is talking to a peer, place them on
the
> same device.  Don't have a 'peering edge' vs 'customer
> edge'.

Did that once, not going back.

We've once done the router reflector + border router thing.
Will never do that again, thank you very much :-).

It may make sense for some small outfits, or even simpler
ones. Doesn't make sense for us, and I'm sure a few others,
e.g., say you have a device that marks only on egress, you
want your customers to have DSCP value A, but your Internet
DSCP value is Z. How do you make that work with such a box?

> 	It may make sense to terminate your 'core' links on
the
> same device as well.  It may not.  This all depends.
> The problem here is how people think about the network.
> "There must be a core", or "you must transit a P
> device".

This is very true. For some networks, there are no issues
with collapsing pretty much the entire network into one
device (I did that at one of the first ISP's I ever worked
at more than 10 years ago; the whole network was a single
Cisco 3640 router - peering, border, edge, everything).

Mark.