[c-nsp] HP VM ESX fcoe issues with Nexus 5020

Nyman, Eric enyman at mdmercy.com
Tue Oct 25 08:45:25 EDT 2011

All,

I'm having an issue with my ESX servers that are connected to our Nexus
5020's using FCOE to connect to our storage MDS9500's. Basically, if for
any reason connectivity (either FCOE or Ethernet) is disrupted to the
5K's, the ESX servers will not recover and will require a reboot to
reconnect to the storage. Cisco TAC have been looking into it for some
time now but they have not been able to provide any information. Cisco's
recommendations were to try the 5K's in either NPV or NPIV mode but we
get the same result. In another scenario, we also had a Cisco UCS
chassis that would not connect to the storage unless a shut/no shut was
initiated on the switch port. That seems to be resolved with a driver
update but only on the 5K switch that is NOT NPV enabled.

Anyone ever had any experiences with ESX servers connecting to storage
on the 5K's?

Thanks,
Eric

This email transmission may contain CONFIDENTIAL, PRIVILEGED,   and or PROTECTED INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by email, do not disseminate or copy and delete immediately.