[c-nsp] Another unsupported-transceiver issue

Nick Ryce Nick.Ryce at lumison.net
Sun Sep 4 15:41:49 EDT 2011

Hi Tim,

Thanks for this.  I'm getting in touch with our optic supplier to see if
they have had any other reports of this.  Its a chan35 optic to plug into
some DWDM kit.  Pity Cisco seem to have omitted this channel from their
optic range or we would have used them.

Nick
--
Nick Ryce
Network Engineer

P.S. Fancy some light reading? Clouds to networks, download a Lumison
whitepaper now athttp://www.lumison.net/why-lumison/whitepapers

On 04/09/2011 12:24, "tim" <tim at haitabu.net> wrote:

>Nick,
>
>On 02.09.2011 4:47 PM, Nick Ryce wrote:
>> State:
>>     Administrative state: enabled
>>     Operational state: Down (Reason: Security failure (not a valid
>>part))
>>     LED state: Yellow On
>>
>> Is there another hidden command I need to set to get the XFP to work?
>
>I am not an optical or XFP expert, but we had the same issue with some
>second source optics and the ASR 9000 series.  The ASR 9000 line-cards
>seem to be more aggressive in the time-slot between giving power to the
>XFP and wanting to fetch the data from the XFP eeeprom (i.e., the XFP
>has not so much time to boot/get warm and deliver the eeeprom data to
>the line-card).
>One can test this by resetting the line-card with the XFP inserted.  If
>the XFP comes up properly it is (it could be) this issue.
>
>We have no (realistic) work-around for this second source optics, but
>discussed this with the XFP vendors and they modified/upgraded the XFPs
>and now they work with the ASR 9000 series routers.
>
>BTW:  Until now we had no example were we needed the global "service
>unsupported-transceiver" statement.  We do use the "transceiver permit
>pid all" statement in interface configuration mode for some SFPs.
>
>Hth,
>       tim

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Lumison.
presence of viruses.  Lumison accept no liability for any