[c-nsp] ASA vs ISR ZBFW

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Sep 9 11:23:59 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 11:17:39AM -0400, Matthew Huff wrote:
> I understand where this comes from, but the ASA is a bit more modern then the "PIXen".
>
> 1) It now does dynamic routing (RIP, OSPF, EIGRP)

... but still no BGP, which is undoubtly *the* routing protocol that you
want to use if you don't trust your neighbours (due to much better filtering
support) - and "firewall environment" is usually all about "not trusting".

> 2) Nat (as of 8.3+) is now "normal"

Hooray :-)

(Can you do firewalling without NAT these days without configuring
external-to-internal permits as "please do NAT from X to X"?)

> 3) The inspect feature still has issues but is necessary for many protocols and is implemented very similar on the ZBFW  in ios.

Just last week I had a customer call due to weird issues with "passive
FTP is not working right"... but indeed that might have been an older
firmware release.

OTOH, I never said the PIX/ASAs are *bad*...  there's much worse evil on
the market :-)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de