[c-nsp] vlan translation

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Fri Sep 30 16:51:44 EDT 2011

Him

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, chris stand wrote:

> Are many ( any ) of you using vlan translation on trunk ports ?
>
> Legacy networks integrating into new number schemas ?
> Allowing similar vlans to live at multiple remote locations but be
> seen uniquely at "core"
> Part of an 802.1X / radius auth vlan scheme ?

yes used it on a pair of 6504 for a similar use case to allow all access switches of a service provider to have an identical vlan numbering scheme.

     interface GigabitEthernet9/8/7
      switchport
      switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
      switchport trunk allowed vlan 501,511,521,531
      switchport mode trunk
      switchport nonegotiate
      switchport vlan mapping enable
      switchport vlan mapping 500 501
      switchport vlan mapping 510 511
      switchport vlan mapping 520 521
      switchport vlan mapping 530 531
      spanning-tree portfast edge trunk
     !

The catch is that that you can only have one mapping per port group on a line card.

In our case with an WS-X6724-SFP this translates to 2 groups of ports 1-12 and 13-24.

So if you have lots of remote sites you will have difficulties getting enough unique mappings.

We are considering using service instances in our distribution layer to do away with the vlans in core and distribtution.

Greetings
Christian

> 6500 or 7K ?
>
> Thank you,

Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2
Phone:   +49 7032 893 997 - 0          D-71126 Gaeufelden
Fax:     +49 7032 893 997 - 9          HRB 245288, Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Web:     http://www.cksoft.de/         Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian Kratzer