[c-nsp] When will SFP+ 10GBase-T optics be available?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Apr 20 04:08:30 EDT 2012

On 04/19/2012 11:57 PM, Eric Rosenberry wrote:
> I have hosts and storage arrays arriving that are coming with 10GBase-T
> ports onboard (and no SFP+ ports).  This makes it very hard to hook to my
> SFP+ *only* switches.  ;-)

Really? Hmm. Interesting - what equipment is this?

There does not seem to be a (genuine, unbiased) consensus about whether
10GbaseT or SFP+ is going to "win out" for host connectivity. We have
dithered on this, but have moved in the direction of SFP+ on the basis
that server manufacturers seem to be shipping SFP+ 10G kit, and the
cheap 1U ToR switches are largely SFP+

> My research indicates that the lack of 10GBase-T SFP+ modules is likely due
> to the power consumption of 10 gig over copper being beyond with the SFP+
> form factor allows?
>
> So does anyone on the list know if/when a solution to this need will be
> arriving?

My understanding was "never", based on vendor discussions. Specifically,
I believe the SFP+ is unable to provide sufficient power to drive a
10GbaseT, full stop.

I guess it's possible that 10GbaseT components might radically improve
in power efficiency and suddenly it becomes possible. But I wouldn't bet
on it, personally.

I'd be interested to hear what others have done, given the various costs
and tradeoffs involved.