[c-nsp] Sharing router uplinks?

Erik Nelson enelsonm5 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 11:23:05 EDT 2012

I have always thought it is a best practice to not put servers or PCs on links/subnets that connect routers together. I also have always thought that router to router links should be 1:1. For example, the link from a top-of-rack or end-of-row router to the data center core should be a dedicated link.

I have run into a situation where there is insistence that both of these practices not be observed. I am being asked to put many router uplinks on a single subnet connected to a single port on the core router. I am also being asked to put a web server on this same subnet.

What do others think of this?  I have been unable to find anything on the web that says anything for or against. If anyone knows of authoritative guidelines on the web about this I would be very interested.