[c-nsp] Serving static AAAA records with IOS

eric@linux.ca eric.lauriault at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 14:14:33 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

Has anyone managed to get IOS to serve statically defined AAAA records? I
do this just fine with A records as such :

ip dns server
ip host ns.example.com 1.1.1.1
ip host somehost.example.com 1.1.1.2
ip dns primary example.org soa ns.example.org someone at example.com 21600 900
7776000 86400

Interestingly whenever I add a static ipv6 entry, I get the SOA as an
answer instead of the actual AAAA record. But from the router itself, it
can use the statically defined hosts just fine.

ipv6 host somehost.example.com 2001:1:1:1::1

router#ping ipv6 somehost.example.com
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 2001:1:1:1::1, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 0/1/4 ms

I'm running 15.2-2(T1) on a 891W.

Thanks,

Eric Lauriault