[c-nsp] SMS on 1941 w/ HWIC-3G-HSPA-G?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Dec 6 04:54:13 EST 2012

We have a mobile truck collecting blood donations that uses a 1941 with
HWIC-3G-HSPA-G and two 3G SIMs from different providers. This works
quite well, no complaints from us. This morning it started logging the
following though:

%CELLWAN-2-SMS_ARCH_PATH_UNCONFIGURED: Cellular0/0/0 failed to archive
   SMS because sms-archive-path under cellular controller is not
   configured.

I don't know why anyone would send it an SMS, but the problem is that I
can't configure "sms-archive-path" anywhere. I think this might be
because the HWIC simply doesn't support it.

Router(config)#controller Cellular 0/0
Router(config-controller)#?
Controller configuration commands:
  default      Set a command to its defaults
  description  Controller specific description
  exit         Exit from controller configuration mode
  gsm          GSM type carrier
  help         Description of the interactive help system
  no           Negate a command or set its defaults

Router(config-controller)#gsm ?
  event  cellular snmp event persistence
  radio  Controller's radio
  sim    Subscriber Identity Module

Router(config-controller)#^C
Router#
Router#cellular 0/0/0 gsm ?
  band        GSM Bands
  mep         Mobile Equipment Personalization
  plmn        PLMN Commands
  prl-region  View/set PRL region
  profile     Profile management commands
  sim         SIM card lock/unlock commands

Router#

The 1941 is a CISCO1941W-E/K9 running 15.1(3)T1 with a Security license.
According to CCO[1] the SMS related commands should have appeared in
15.1(3)T, but I can't see them cf. above.

If the HWIC doesn't support it then why does it log this message? And is
there any way to either enable SMS or disable whatever wants to log
things?

[1]: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1861/software/feature/guide/mrwls_hspa.html#wp1600033

--
Peter