[c-nsp] 6500 admin shuts a new vlan if it has the same IP as a down vlan.

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Wed Dec 19 19:52:15 EST 2012

Sorry for the late response,

You cannot un-shut the new VLAN until you remove the downed VLAN completely.

When we create the new VLAN we do 'no shut' and it gives an error about an overlap.

I'm doing all of this via scripts; so if the IP I am assigning isn't in the routing table and it isn't assigned in our database then that means I have no way of knowing that it's still pegged to a long forgotten vlan.

I'm almost certain that this is 'newer' functionality, like SXI5+

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable it?

Thanks,
-Drew