[c-nsp] OSPF stability issues with 12.2SXI on 6500/Sup720?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Jan 4 09:25:30 EST 2012

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, Chuck Church wrote:

> Any control plane policing?  We had a similar issue at last job, turned out
> a few of our OSPF sessions weren't placed in the above-best-effort class.
> Our IA people running a network scanner occasionally without telling us
> would cause many drops in the best effort class, causing OSPF session drops.
> After adding those few OSPF sessions to the right class, problem went away.
> This as with SXI3, and eventually SXI4.  Other than that, no issues.  That
> was with VSS mode, and lots of DFCs, if that makes a difference.

No control-plane policing.  I'm also in the process of comparing the
config and hardware load-out on this particular 6509 to another one that's
been running SXI7 for a month with no issues.  The only significant
difference between the two is that the one that's running fine has a
somewhat different complement of linecards and sees less traffic than the
one we had to roll back, but the one we rolled back is not being
saturated by any means.  SXI7 also did not seem to be hitting the
CPU/memory/buffers on the 6509 we rolled back any harder than SXH5.

jms