[c-nsp] in praise of the cat6500 Re: Flow tools

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 20 19:33:37 EST 2012

On 01/20/2012 10:11 PM, Alessandra Forti wrote:

>>> The 6[78]16 cards are only 40g. Each 4 port group has 10g. We have
>>> some, and frankly they're a bit awkward because of this.
>>>
> the 6[78]16 are the only 10GBASE-T though and I'm trying to keep it simple.

If you want it to last 6 years, I think buying the 6716 is the wrong call.

If you do buy the 6716, the sup2T is overpowered. Maybe you need the new
features, but you said "throughput and minimal routing", so maybe not.

If it were me, I would get a sup2T and 6908 linecards, and use a
distribution switch with fibre uplinks and 10GbaseT ports down.

The Extreme x650 is a very cheap option for the latter.

My advice would be to think hard about 10GbaseT restriction though.