[c-nsp] 7600 Owners, failure stats wanted

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Jan 21 11:43:55 EST 2012

On Friday, January 20, 2012 08:19:19 PM James Bensley wrote:

> Are they more likely to fail the other line cards? It
> doesn't seem very common practice to have to of every
> card in the chassis and provide customers with a port on
> two switching modules for example, so why dual RSPs? Are
> they *that* much more likely to fail?

We have 6500's running SUP720's on them. We use these for
pure core switching in our large PoP's.

Each core switch is running a single SUP720. It's been like
this for nearly 5 years now. We didn't think having dual
RP's in the core switches would be worthwhile when we have
two core switches in the first place, and since all they're
doing is Ethernet switching - no routing.

That said, all routers that support dual control planes get
them outfitted by default.

Our customers, these days, connect to us in the Access, as
we're extending MPLS all the way into there, using ME3600X's
at this time. These don't provide box-level control plane
redundancy, so customers that need some assurance have to
buy a 2nd link to another box in another ring.

Before the ME3600X's, high capacity customers that needed
LACP would be thrown into large boxes like the MX-series.
This was mainly because LACP or the need for 10Gbps limits
your options re: what boxes you can use for edge
termination, while staying relatively cost-effective. In
these cases, customer member links are terminated on
different line cards in the same chassis (until we deploy
MC-LAG, of course).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.