[c-nsp] Migrating routes from GRT to MPLS VRF

Andrew K. andrew at vianet.ca
Tue Jan 31 14:36:14 EST 2012

Hello list,

I am having trouble thinking up a migration plan to move all our
internal routes from the general routing table (GRT) to a VRF.

A little background; we are a medium size ISP located in northern
canada.  Traditionally we have used iBGP as our IGP and we are looking
to move our core network from inline traffic forwarding core
route-reflectors to dedicated route-reflectors / P - PE - CE MPLS VRF
configuration.

I was wondering if the following is possible :

CE1   ---->   PE1    ----->  P1 ---->  P2  ---->  PE2   ----->  CE2
ASN:1         GRT:ASN:1       \       /           GRT:ASN:1     ASN:1
               VRF:ASN1           RR1 VRF:ASN1
                                 GRT:1

The reason for this is not all our sites are MPLS enabled so I need to
include the legacy GRT IP traffic into the new VRF.

I have CE1 GRT peered with PE1 VRF and redistributing its connected
routes.  The problem is the PE1 is not sending those routes upstream to
RR1 or PE2.

I can supply a couple diagrams for anyone who is interested in helping
think up a plan.

Any information would be appreciated.
Andrew.