[c-nsp] NTP on a 3750 & 2970

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Jun 11 13:00:48 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 10:46 -0600, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Here's what I'm thinking should do the trick, but it is unclear to me if
> I need any interface specific or other global config changes to enable
> client's to sync time with the switches:
>
> conf t
> clock timezone MST -7
> clock summer-time MDT recurring 2 Sun Mar 2:00 1 Sun Nov 2:00
> ntp server ntp.cpsc.ucalgary.ca
> ntp server ntp1.cpsc.ucalgary.ca
> exit
> wr mem

The above would make the switch itself sync time with the two specified
server. The timezone commands are in that regard irrelevant, since NTP
is always UTC.

You need "ntp master" command to enable others to sync with this switch.
Beware that this might not be a good idea. They may not be the best time
keepers, and have slow processors meaning that a (possibly accidental)
DoS against NTP might easily disturb e.g. STP and other critical
processes.

--
Peter