[c-nsp] VS-S720-10G (6509 VSS Engine) 10G Port Issue

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 11:20:13 EDT 2012

On 12/06/12 15:28, Xu Hu wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>

> We bought VS-S720-10G engine for VSS in 6509, but now the customer don't
> want use the VSS mode, they just want to use that as normal engine.
>
> So now we are wondering if we use the 10G port for normal Layer2 or Layer3
> traffic, will it impact our engine performance or CPU utilization? Is there
> any detail document talking about this?

If I recall correctly, the sup720-10G is actually slight faster than a
sup720 - it's really a "sup760". So the fabric has enough capacity.

As long as you have enough PFC capacity (either because you're using
DFCs, or because you only have a few ports) then it should work just fine.

That is: the 10G ports are normal ports, and can be used normally.

Disclaimer: I've never tried it.