[c-nsp] 6500 router hangs (IPV4 routing slows to a crawl) when IPV6 routing is enabled with VRFs.

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at wisc.edu
Tue Jun 12 11:51:58 EDT 2012

Hey Jim,

Some things / guesses of the top of my head:

BFD on the cat6k/720 is implemented centrally.  In practice on this
platform I think it causes more outages than it is supposed to fix.

Are you really, really sure you are not out of fib space with your v4
full table plus mpls labels?  (Check "sh plat hard cap").  Putting the
dfz in a vrf may not be a good idea anyway.

You don't have something configured like ipv6-urpf configured, do you?

When you are actually hitting enter after "ipv6 unicast-routing" you
probably are asking the box to recompute a pile of data structures, assign
labels, pointers, etc.  Some of that is on the RP, and then the SP gets
to do some as well.  Then SP then has to commit this (nearly full for
v4) rib to the tcam.   You are seeing the SP cpu hit 100% while this
happens.  If you are monitoring your dfc's you would probably see
activity there, too.

During that time everything (well, nearly everything that is still a fib
miss before the hardware shortcut is installed) is getting punted to the RP.
SPD is helping to bail you out from some of this flooding to keep
priority traffic like hello's up.

Keep in mind that these cpu's are slower than the ones in your previous
cell phone.

I think you have some options like you said:
- wait it out
- reboot w/ v6 enabled.
- if you use hsrp, use preempt delay of 5 min or so.  Even without v6, I
bet your topology converges from a cold start similarly.

Dale

Thus spake Jim Trotz (jtrotz at gmail.com) on Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:21:26AM -0400: