[c-nsp] ntp

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Mon Jun 25 18:44:33 EDT 2012

As Gert said, it does vary what is 'reasonable'.

Reasonably accurate for a stratum 2 is going to depend more on latency than the server.
Particularly if the server is any appreciable distance away from its stratum 1 sources.
Within 1 millisecond is usually pretty good.
More than 5 milliseconds usually indicates a crappy network connection to the sources (too far or too unstable - high jitter).
If the clock on your server is very inaccurate then you could exceed those figures.

If you want more accurate than that you really need your own stratum 1s.

A CDMA based device is <10 microseconds to UTC when locked (<10 microseconds is required for CDMA cell phones to work).
A GPS based device is <30 nanoseconds to GPS when locked (GPS itself is <100 nanoseconds to UTC).

The drift rate of the clock is also important for stratum 1s.

A regular clock is going to be 10milliseconds / day on signal loss.
An OCXO is going to be 100 microseconds / day on signal loss.
A rubidium (similar to what is used in a cell tower) is going to be 8 microseconds / day on signal loss.

Mack