[c-nsp] replacing CARP with Cisco possible ?

"Rolf Hanßen" nsp at rhanssen.de
Thu Mar 1 10:30:57 EST 2012

Hello,

we have a few setups that do gateway failover with Linux + CARP and are
thinking if we can replace them with HRSP (or VRRP).

The CARP setups are configured that way now:
-a small non-public network (something like 192.168.0.0/30) is configured
on the interfaces and used to run CARP to avoid waste of public IPs.
-public IPs and static routes are enabled/disabled with the
up/down-Scripts (ip addr add/del x.x.x.x/y dev ethX, ip route add/del ...)

Looking into the config syntax im wondering if this setup can be done at
all with VRRP/HSRP.
Is there a way to configure virtual IPs that do not belong to the
"hard-coded" network (ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y) of the interface ?
I see that it is possible to configure other IPs, but this results in a
warning and there is no possibility to set the netmask at all.

Is there a possibility to have static routes that are only active if the
node has enabled the virtual IP ?

Is there anything else to take care of ?
Any limitations except the 4096 HSRP-IDs ?
We will be using SUP720-3B with 6548, 6748 and 6704 LCs, no DFCs.
All Layer 3 stuff is configured winside vlan-interfaces, all physical
interfaces are configured as switchports.

kind regards
Rolf