[c-nsp] port channel numbering schemes

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Mar 7 10:14:49 EST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 08:16:52AM -0600, chris stand wrote:
> We have a number of facilities that have access closets that connect
> either directly to a 7K or the access closets connect to 5Ks which
> then connect to the 7Ks.
>
> I have co-workers who want to take a trunk that might be carrying vlan
> 1300,1302,1304 and make the port channel 1300.
> The next closet might have vlan 1306,08,10,12.14,16 so its port channel is 1306
> The next closet might have vlan 1318, 1320 so ... po 1318

This is a particularily weird one :-) - what will your co-worker do
if vlan 1200 gets added to po1318?  Renumber the port-channel?

We usually decide on a case-by-case basis how to number the port-channels,
and then it's usually something like:

 - from distribution router (6500) to distribution switches (whatever)
     port-channel 1, 2, 3, 4... to dist-switch 1, 2, 3, 4...

 - from distribution router to core router
     port-channel 100, 101, 102, ...

> I want to use po10, po11, po12, po13,po14 like we have on every other
> device up until now and put the appropriate vlans in the correct port
> channels.

That's about what we use.  Tacking port-channel numbers to vlans on the
channel will give you headaches some day - vlan distribution tends to
change all the time.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de