[c-nsp] Does SPA-2X1GE supports 100M with SFP-GE-T?

Kevin Hodle kevin.hodle at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 13:14:54 EDT 2012

Hi Joe,

   The interface itself should have no issues running at 100M/fastE,
but the transceiver (SFP) could very well give you problems.. Most of
the cheaper off the shelf copper SFPs are not capable of running at
symbol rates != 1G, and thus only support 1000Base-T. You will need to
look around for a true multi-rate copper SFP to do this, I assume
Cisco sells a rate adaptable 10M/100M/1000M SFP, and there are most
likely cheaper alternatives as well.

    ... That said, have you inquired with your carrier whether they
can hand-off native 1000Base-LH optical or full gigabit copper with a
100M CIR/CDR? Most carriers I know would *prefer* to offer native gigE
hand-off for most provisioning scenarios. Even in a typical enterprise
optical loop where $carrier pulls in a native STS3c/STS12c and
utilizes high order VCAT+GFP to give you 2x51M tributaries,  sub-rate
over native gigE is now pretty standard in most metro areas :)

Regards,
Kevin

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Joe Myatt <sjmyatt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> unusual situation but we need to connect to a new carrier service at 100M and we only have SPA-2XG1E in a SIP-400 7613 chassis. Can you force these to run a 100M with copper SFP?  As below:
>>
>> Router#sh run int gi 10/3/0
>> Building configuration...
>>
>> Current configuration : 173 bytes
>> !
>> interface GigabitEthernet10/3/0
>> description  Telstra BDAS Standard POI
>> no ip address
>> speed 100
>> no negotiation auto
>> no snmp trap link-status
>> end

 :: :: Kevin Hodle | http://www.linkedin.com/in/kevinhodle
 :: :: PGP Key ID  | fingerprint
 :: :: 0x803F24BE  | 1094 FB06 837F 2FAB C86B E4BE 4680 3679 803F 24BE

"Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a factor that decides
between success and failure. "
-Edsgar Dijkstra