[c-nsp] ASR1004 slot/backplane/capacity question

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Wed May 9 13:59:17 EDT 2012

1) the latest data I have indicates the ASR1004 only supports the ESP20 however that could have changed with software tweaks.

2) Yes everything always goes to the ESP through the backplane there is no local switching.

3) In theory you could over subscribe a SIP10 4:1 (actually a little less oversubscription since the channel is more like 11.5G).
I have not actually tried this in practice.  I have verified that it allows more than one 10G SPA in a SIP.

4) The backplane connection which lives on the ESP10 is actually 11.5G.
Above that level you are going to drop traffic and communications are going to be impaired.
I would assume the other ESPs have similar headroom.
In theory the ESP is going to rate limit incoming/outgoing traffic (uses the highest) to 10G and I am pretty sure it does it in practice.

LR Mack McBride
Network Architect