[c-nsp] Stacking 3750X vs diverse 4948E

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Sun May 20 22:35:25 EDT 2012

On 5/20/2012 3:36 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2012-05-19 22:25 -0500), Tony Varriale wrote:
>
>> If you follow the rules, those are the easiest, most non-eventful
>> events ever.  I've done over 100 and had no issues.
> This is curious statement, it implies that if you are operating devices as
> per documentation, nothing ever goes wrong. But I'm sure this really wasn't
> what you mean.

I typically operate networks as to what works.  Any manufacturers
documentation is never 100% or what works best in the field.  For
example, on 3750s I manually upgrade IOS to existing stack code rev.
> I can't explain why they've been uneventful for you, but eventful for us,

See above.
> Maybe your set of features configured in your 3750 in your IOS release is
> better match. It would be arrogant to assume that non of our problems were
> caused by operator mistakes, I'm sure some field-techs have done it wrong.

Arrogant of you?  Or me?  I wasn't implying anything.  I was giving you
an opinion and my experience with 3750s.

> Now I'm not sure if our failure rate in stacking/destacking is 1% (1 in
> 100) it is probably less, all I'm saying they fail lot more often than our
> non-stacked switches.
Which part of the switches are failing?

> Quick bugtool search for 'stack 3750' gives 743 bugs. 569 if these have
> been modified in last 6 months. 122 have been modified in last 3 months.

Do you have NOS service?  Or, do you/your team do bug scrubs?  How about
any type of testing prior to going into production?

tv