[c-nsp] setting max mtu on switch (Jumbo)

-Hammer- bhmccie at gmail.com
Tue May 29 08:06:00 EDT 2012

One thing that I recently suffered thru regarding this is how your
vendors define "jumbo". In a single vendor shop like Cisco, you may
define 9000 to your end devices and 9216 to your switching to account
for overhead. But other vendors treat jumbo differently and some (Yes,
this is 2012) don't support it. Recently I had a multi vendor
environment where one of the larger core vendors didn't support it. The
result was that any performance gain from the entire solution was really
sacrificed by the fact that one of the vendors would issue PMTUD and
knock the frame down to 1500 regardless. Make sure you confirm the
feature/function thru all your touchpoints and are actually going to
benefit from it.

-Hammer-

"I was a normal American nerd"
-Jack Herer