[c-nsp] loose uRPF on Sup720/3B

Ross Halliday ross.halliday at wtccommunications.ca
Wed Nov 14 11:55:05 EST 2012

I can also verify this, we use a Sup720-3BXL as an edge router (yeah yeah I know best netflow platform ever) and the uRPF stuff is certainly done in hardware. This interface sees a full feed with max traffic of about 450 Mbps, PPS not sure maybe up to 50-80k:

edge-c6509#sh ip int gig 9/9
  Input features: Ingress-NetFlow, Access List, uRPF, MCI Check
  Output features: IP Post Routing Processing, Post-Ingress-NetFlow, Egress-Netflow, HW Shortcut Installation
  IP verify source reachable-via ANY
   33694339 verification drops
   84102557 suppressed verification drops
   0 verification drop-rate

Loose/Strict mode is actually defined per-interface. It's the exception of matching default route that is global. This isn't a problem technically since you should only have the default route on a handful of interfaces, however if you build up a new interface and supply a uRPF line *without* "allow-default" then it gets removed from all interfaces.

Also, if you do hook that box up to anything like an Internet feed beware the 'debug ip cef drops' command... earlier this year I was rudely reminded that that and BFD run on the same CPU ;)

Cheers
Ross