[c-nsp] Redundant interDC FC-links with different latency

Mathias Sundman mathias at nilings.se
Thu Nov 29 07:22:10 EST 2012

I have a customer who intends to inter-connect two pairs of FibreChannel
switches (Cisco or Brocade) between two DCs, and will be using Transmode
4G FC Transponders to light the black fibers.

The two black fibers are 25km and 70 km. The distance can be handled
with the line optics in the Transponders and the buffering is handled by
extended buffer credit in the switches.

The question is: Is it a problem that the two different fibers have such
different length and latency (Approx 125 uS and 350 uS)? Should I be
worried about load balancing and out-of-order frames etc?

PS: Please let me know if there is a better suited list for SAN related
questions like this

Thanks,
Mathias