[c-nsp] asymmetrical performance inside core

Eric A Louie elouie at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 19:03:34 EDT 2012

I'm inheriting a problem that I could use some ideas to troubleshoot.

Speedtesting from within my core to other locations within the core give me
"asymmetrical" performance. I've traced the routes and the path is the same
download and upload, but I'll get very good download speeds (30Mbps) and
terrible upload speeds (3Mbps, 6Mbps)

I've looked at MTU and it doesn't appear that there's a lot of packet
fragmentation/reassembly

I've looked at total bandwidth utilization during the test times across the
backhaul and I'm not saturating the bandwidth in either direction

I've looked at the interfaces through which the packets are traveling, and there
are no CRC errors, no drops, no retransmissions

The physical layer radio transmissions seem to be good both directions with the
performance testing at that level.

What do I look at next?  It's a problem because customers are speedtesting and
seeing this DSL-like performance and making noises.

 Much appreciated,
Eric Louie