[c-nsp] IPv6 BGP peers over SNMP

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Oct 27 14:54:19 EDT 2012

On 27/10/2012 10:19, Robert Williams wrote:
> Very disappointing but I guess we'll just go the SSH/scrape route
> instead like everybody else is having to do.

<rant>
Agreed.  It is ridiculous that in 2012, fully 15 years after I started
playing with ipv6, we're stuck with stupid crap like screen-scraping in
order to monitor production services like ipv6 bgp.

There is a draft MIB for this: draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2.  It's currently
expired, but the authors are still actively interested in it.  It would be
really nice if Cisco took this more seriously because it causes really
crappy operational problems not to be able to monitor your BGP properly.

Juniper, on the other hand, have sponsored draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2 and
this has been supported since at least JUNOS 8.3.  But even if they didn't
support it, you could still run:

% ssh -4 juniper.example.com "show bgp summary | display xml"

... and it will hand you back nicely formatted XML output, ripe for parsing
in your monitoring scripts.

There is nothing similar available on IOS and it's absurd.

In short, if you have a requirement to run a monitored IPv6 network, you
should probably run it on Juniper kit.
</rant>

Nick