[c-nsp] npe-g2 + shaping

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Mon Oct 29 05:04:51 EDT 2012

On 29/10/2012 7:11 PM, BALLA Attila wrote:
> Hello,
>    I met an interesting issue: there is a Cisco 7200 NPE-G2 with
> 12.4(24)T7, this router terminates some broadband users, we applied
> shaping on the virtual-template and we surprised: shaping was not
> working. We upgraded (downgraded?) to 12.2(33)SRE6 and the shaping was
> working properly, so I think it is not a config issue.
> This router has a SA-VAM2+, but SRE does not support this module.
> First question: is it normal, that shaping is not working on
> virtual-template at 12.4(24)T7?
> Second question: is any release which supports shaping on
> virtual-template and sa-vam2+?

I ran into the same problem with 12.4 releases on the 7200 and ISR
G1/G2s some time ago when applying a QoS policy via RADIUS, (can't
remember if it was in 12.4T but certainly was a problem in 12.4
mainline).  This may be what you're running into.

The bug IDs for this were CSCte95297 and CSCti80776 .

Fixes for it were integrated in earlier 15.0M builds which in turn means
15.1M and 15.2M also have the fixes.

The syntax for checking the QoS also changed - you need to use 'show
subscriber session' commands from then on to see if the policy has
applied and what, if any, drops are occurring.  It was a source of
frustration that the old style 'show policy-map interface' commands
didn't work anymore after that but restoring the old CLI output was
considered an 'enhancement request' and I had no such luck getting that
bit fixed :-(

Reuben