[c-nsp] Understanding ASR1k variants

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 17:09:25 EDT 2012

Hi,

On 31 October 2012 05:46, Simon Lockhart <simon at slimey.org> wrote:
> Cisco-NSP'ers,
>
> Due to a requirement to deploy CGN, I'm looking at the Cisco ASR1k range for
> the first time, and I'm a little confused about the different variants of
> RP, ESP, SIP, etc - and I'm hoping someone can clarify things a bit.

RP1 is much slower then RP2. RP2 is AFAIK a 64bit Celleron-based
platform, and RP1 some sort of RISC-based 32bit.

Both ESP and SIP throughput is only 'used' one way, so ESP20 can take
up to 20G of input traffic and process it fine. NAT throughput for the
ESPs looks roughly like this:

ESP10:
6Mpps
Nat sessions max: 1M
session setup rate: 100kcps
Nat throughput: 10Gbs

ESP20:
8Mpps
Nat sessions max: 2M
session setup rate: 200kcps
Nat throughput: 20Gbs

ESP40:
9Mpps
Nat sessions max: 2M
session setup rate: 200kcps
Nat throughput: 40Gbs

with SIP cards you have to count both traffic entering from the
interfaces and the backplane.

If the numbers above are not big enought  you might have to look at
doing something with ASR9k and the ISM cards
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9853/data_sheet_c78-663164.html).

kind regards
Pshem