[c-nsp] policer in case of burstable IP transit service

Kyle Duren pixitha.kyle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 00:10:11 EDT 2012

At my old day job we gave the customer the option;

What do you want your monthly commit to be?

What do you want the max amount of data to be over that?

1gb interface, with a 200M commit, and a 500M max, even though they are
still only being billed with 95th records, it gives them plenty of room but
keeps them from getting a massive bill if they do use their whole pipe.

Everyone seemed happy, they got a burstable pipe, but with some hard limits
to protect themselves. You can lower the cost/mb if they don't want a limit
or with the higher limit. In the end I think that's the best way to do it,
give the customer the options, so they feel more in control.

-Kyle