[c-nsp] MSDP and my limited knowledge question

Mihai Tanasescu mihai at duras.ro
Wed Sep 5 04:03:00 EDT 2012

Hello and sorry for the delay in answering.
Tons of messages and all very helpful; now the issue makes sense.

On 9/4/12 10:12 AM, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:
> As Paul said IGMP register messages are supposed to be handled by the router
> elected as designated querier for the local subnet
> Though AFAIK IGMP register process is only used by the m-cast receivers not
> the sources
> To my knowledge sources just start streaming the m-cast traffic and omit the
> IGMP register process -the router on a local subnet elected as designated
> forwarder would pick up the stream and begin the PIM register process
> towards the RP -encapsulating the m-cast packets into unicast packets
> towards the RP (assuming Sparse Mode)
>
> Mihai
> Is the below output created only after you start streaming from the source
> please?
>   (10.10.10.1, 233.224.26.1), 00:00:05/00:02:57, flags: PT
>       Incoming interface: GigabitEthernet1/48, RPF nbr 192.168.1.2
>       Outgoing interface list: Null
Yes, it is created after I start streaming from the source.

> I'm not really sure what fails here why the c4900 doesn't originate the SA
> msg after the source has registered with the RP (try what debug pim says)
> I'm wondering whether the Linux box picks up the m-cast stream sourced from
> loopback and acts as first-hop router with directly connected source (but I
> guess you don't have PIM enabled on the box right?)
right, no pim enabled.

> Or it just simply routes/forwards the m-cast stream  sourced by loopback out
> the LAN interface towards the c4900 acting as pure host/source
Linux simply sends a multicast stream into the C4900 configured as RP
and yes, seems there's no one doing the PIM register (linux acts like a
pure multicast source).
I'm wondering if I can trick this process to work without installing
another box as a middle man between the Linux and the C4900.

--
mihai