[c-nsp] Cisco to Juniper LAG/LACP - Juniper not sending traffic over both links.

Joseph Jackson recourse at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 16:58:53 EDT 2012

Hey networkers,

I have 3 sites connected to a service providers MPLS network.  Two of
those sites (Dallas and LA) are configured as etherchannel/LACP ports
with 2 1gig uplinks in them.  On our end we have Catalyst 6506-E
switches the provider side is Juniper gear (I don't have model info).
The issue I am seeing is that on our side we are sending traffic out
of both interfaces and appear to be load balancing correctly.  The
provider (juniper) side is only sending traffic inbound to us over 1
of the links and not using the full etherchannel to load balance in
coming bandwidth.  On the LA end the juniper routers are seeing two
mac addresses learned on that etherchannel - one mac is the SVI and
one mac is one of the member ports.  The Dallas side is only seeing
one mac address.  The service provider is telling me that their
hardware is working correctly and that the hashing algorithm on the
juniper boxes is deciding that only one link should receive traffic.
Anyone else see this issue or can provide any tips.

Thanks!

Joseph