[c-nsp] Cisco 12008 8/40 Gigabit Link

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Sep 11 20:48:30 EDT 2012

On 9/11/12 4:08 PM, root net wrote:

> Had a buddy who said he could send us a 8/40. This long term would be
> better than our 7200VXR routers. Thinking about a solution without having
> to upgrade to ASR for now.
>
> Want some thoughts on the following:
>
> 1. Need to be able to handle full 1 Gigabit of transit (and backup link of
> 200Meg) at some point or at least a 2.5 Gbps connection total at some point
> as the highest ever pushed.

On the GSR series, it's all about the linecard(s).  You really want the
4-port GE card, as it's built on the Engine 3 architecture and can do
what you want.

> The GRP-B only have 512MB of ram so full tables going to be possibly out of
> the question. I know we could possibly filter down but really want to run
> full table.
> The PRP-1 which we could max out at 2GB of ram
> The PRP-2 which we could max out at 4GB of ram

GRP-B would be quite tight.  A prior employer hasn't called any of my
contacts looking for help with routing table problems yet, so I don't
think it's hit the limit, but soon...

> Would we need to install 5 SFCs?

The 008 uses 3xSFC and 1-2xCSC.  You need at least 4 ..C for normal
operation of Engine 1/2/3 cards.  You need at least one CSC for normal
operation of Engine 0 cards, but you don't want Engine 0 cards anyway.

> Do you think long term this router could work as we believe max capacity we
> would need is around 2.5Gbps period for this router?
> Could we start out with GRP-B and run full tables for IPv4 and IPv6 with
> possibly 200Megs being pushed over transit?

If your cards are Engine 3, they'll serve you well up to the
2.5Gbps/slot limits.  If your xRP has enough RAM for all of its tables
and your linecards have enough RAM for the FIB copy, you'll be fine.  I
miss these boxes, but they do have a steep learning curve.

pt