[c-nsp] Best Ipam software?

Matthieu MICHAUD matthieu at nxdomain.fr
Thu Sep 13 11:07:57 EDT 2012

Hi,

I recently had to deal with IPAM software vendors. Here is a quick feedback.

It just my 2 cts in the context a mid-sized enterprise network with
frequent merger (then overlapping subnets carried over a VPN/MPLS).

All of the following piece of software support overlapping subnets through
containers/views.

- Infoblox
Nice interface and well finished product. If your primary goal is to
integrate IPAM/DNS/DHCP I think it is a good choice. But I was a bit
disappointed with the IPAM features compared to the competition. Excellent
documentation.

- Efficient IP
Best IPAM I have seen, a real challenger of Infoblox to me: cheaper, fully
featured but harder to use and GUI no as beautiful as Infoblox. Integration
with third party component seems thoroughly thought out.
There is a business case with OBS
http://www.efficientip.com/case-study-orange-business-services.

- BT diamond IP
Felt sick with the quote too, their pricing model is based on the number of
so called active IP addresses.
However if you need to deploy managed MPLS as much as an ISP does, I think
it is a very good option.

- BlueCat Networks
Worth a try. I planned to evaluate it I ran out of time.
If you contact your local reseller you could manager to get a
fully functional but time limited virtual appliance.
So it is with other vendors.

Bästa hälsningar,

--
Matthieu MICHAUD