[c-nsp] ASR-100x intro

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Apr 10 15:44:34 EDT 2013

On Apr 10, 2013, at 3:53 AM, Beck, Andre wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (as that's a long time since last post to this thread, I'll reply to
> the list only and clear up CCs, hope that's Ok).
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 01:09:58AM -0800, Mack McBride wrote:
>>
>> Final answer on how long 1M routes will work for is variable.
>> At least 18 months, possibly as long as 3 or 4 years.  Beyond that
>> and there is going to be table pruning if growth continues.
>
> We've prodded Cisco via several routes about that problem, as I couldn't
> believe the ASR1002-X would really max out at 1M FIB despite all the
> similarities to the ESP40+RP2 combo. Turns out there was a Cisco internal
> "Unidimensional Scaling Sheet" with way better numbers for the case of
> equipping the box with 16GB RAM.

I think I posted that here as well, but I never found out if it was OK to officially quote the numbers as the document I saw had "CONFIDENTIAL" all over it.

> I made clear how the current published
> numbers are a deterrent to ISPs in a certain size range shopping for NPE-G2
> replacements, and the numbers just came public in the data sheet:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/data_sheet_c78-450070.html
>
> From Table 8:
>
> 500,000 IPv4 or 500,000 IPv6 routes with 4GB Memory
> 1,000,000 IPv4 or 1,000,000 IPv6 routes with 8GB Memory
> 3,500,000 IPv4 or 3,000,000 IPv6 routes with 16GB Memory

I saw that, but note that if you look at the RP2 datasheet, they still maintain the limit is 1M:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/data_sheet_c78-441072.html

Performance
• 1,000,000 IPv4 or 1,000,000 IPv6 routes

That's even more strange as the RP generally can carry more routes than the ESP - other datasheets claim that it can do at least 4M routes or more when acting as a route reflector.

> That should finally clear up this issue and makes the 1002-X an excellent
> replacement for NPE-G2 I think, with a sufficient DFZ lifetime expectancy.
> Already collecting BOMs here ;)

Based on some quotes, it's something of a bargain as well.  If you step up to the ASR-1004 with an RP2 and an ESP that can do 4M routes, the cost is about double.  Perhaps that's one reason for this inaccuracy. :)

Also finally heard back from Juniper, and they are claiming a 4M RIB and 1M FIB in the MX-80 series, so I suppose that puts them out of the running.  They offered that an MX240/480/960 scales "much higher", but didn't even hint at a list price.  I suspect it's well out of our price range (and out of anyone's price range looking to replace a G2 or augment some 6500 gear that can't scale beyond 1M routes in the FIB).

Glad to hear someone else confirming the 1002-X numbers though…

Charles