[c-nsp] Catalyst 6500/6800 suitable as PE in provider network (SUP2T)?

daniel.dib at reaper.nu daniel.dib at reaper.nu
Thu Aug 22 02:10:30 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm looking for a PE in a provider network which should have
these features:

MPLS

VPLS

Q-in-Q

BGP

Reasonable buffers

EoMPLS

IGP (OSPF/ISIS)

VLAN rewriting

The perfect fit would be
the ME3600/3800 if it wasn't for:

No redundant sup

Poor port density

Lack of 10GE ports

I have been considering the upcoming 6880 or 6500
with SUP2T. It looks like it supports most features but I'm not sure I'm
comfortable putting an "enterprise" switch as a PE device in a provider
network. For those of you running SUP2T what is your opinion so far? Are
you missing any features compared to ME devices? Has VPLS been running
well or have you had any issues?

Any other suggestions on how to
deploy with ME3600/3800? Maybe put something like 4500 user facing and
then trunk that to ME3600/3800?

Thanks for any input.

Daniel Dib

CCIE #37149