[c-nsp] Sup2T / IOS15 licensing questions

"Rolf Hanßen" nsp at rhanssen.de
Thu Aug 29 12:45:29 EDT 2013

Hello,

I just wanted to install a IOS license for the first time (advipservicek9
on Sup2T with IOS 15).
Unfortunatelly I have no clue about that topic and my dealer and Cisco
support do not seam to have either.

I got no license number or anything else from my dealer, just a CD with
the image.
Cisco sent me a link to generate a license with serial and modell number.
I generated a file and installed it:

Installing...Feature:MACSec_Encryption...Successful:Supported
1/1 licenses were successfully installed
0/1 licenses were existing licenses
0/1 licenses were failed to install

Now the questions:
How does Cisco know what license I bought and what features to enable ?
They did not check any invoice, they have no clue what I bought (I just
told them on the phone that I bought one).

A "show license detail" now shows:

Index: 1        Feature: MACSec_Encryption                 Version: 1.0
        License Type: Permanent
        License State: Active, Not in Use
        License Count: Non-Counted
        License Priority: Medium
        Store Index: 0
        Store Name: Primary License Storage
Index: 2        Feature: TEST_FEATURE_1                    Version: 1.0
        License Type: Evaluation
        License State: Active, Not in Use, EULA not accepted
            Evaluation total period: 4  weeks 2  days
            Evaluation period left: 4  weeks 2  days
        License Count: Non-Counted
        License Priority: None
        Store Index: 0
        Store Name: Evaluation License Storage
Index: 3        Feature: TEST_FEATURE_2                    Version: 1.0
        License Type: Evaluation
        License State: Active, Not in Use, EULA not accepted
            Evaluation total period: 1  hour  0  minute
            Evaluation period left: 1  hour  0  minute
        License Count: Non-Counted
        License Priority: None
        Store Index: 1
        Store Name: Evaluation License Storage

How do I see if the correct features were enabled or which type (baseip,
ipservice, advipservice) is installed ?
Maybe somebody with a working and licensed router can compare the output ?

What happens if I reboot and the license was wrong (i.e. baseip only),
does the IOS reject commands in that case or is the whole licensing on
6500/7600just a dummy ?

What is my proof that I have a valid license in case somebody
checks/requests this for whatever reason ?
The CD, the invoice or something else ?

kind regards
Rolf