[c-nsp] Help with Q-in-Q Tunneling Hardware

Garrett, Jason Jason-Garrett at cdolinc.net
Fri Aug 30 13:01:59 EDT 2013

The ISP has provided me with very limited info, only the following:

Example for one to one model:

Interface GigabitEthernet0/2.16            <== The ISP router port

  Encapsulation dot1Q 16 second-dot1q 32 <== S-Tag is 16 and C-Tag is 32

Example for one to many model:

Interface GigabitEthernet0/2.16            <== The ISP router port

Encapsulation dot1Q 16 second-dot1q 1-4000 <== S-Tag is 16 and C-Tag is
                                                                             for customers 1 through 4000

Essentially what we are doing is providing DSL connections to a group of schools.  We currently do this on our 7206 router with an ATM circuit.  The ISP has upgraded some of their DSLAMs to Ethernet Uplinks so any of our DSL customers who are connected to one of these DSLAMs will use this new Ethernet circuit.

In the example Darren provided below, I'm assuming gi0/0 is the NME-16ES-1G service module, correct? One thing that I haven't fully grasped is how the service module works with the router.  I understand that I have to have an IP Address assigned to gi0/0 of the 3745 in order to connect to the service module and then interface gi1/0/2 of the service module is tied to gi0/0 of the 3745.  Does this mean that the gigabit physical port on the service module is gi1/0/1 of the service module, and if that is true, do the commands above need to be entered on the service module gi1/0/1 port or gi0/0 of the 3745?  Gi0/1 on the 3745 will allow the commands, but gi0/1 of the service module will not.

Thanks!
Jason