[c-nsp] C6500 IPv6 redistribute with route-map?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Dec 9 10:26:31 EST 2013

On Monday, December 09, 2013 03:05:17 PM Patrick M. Hausen
wrote:

> Just to make sure i would not accidentally inject
> anything not belonging to my AS into my IGP.

Why would you, if you're running IS-IS only on your internal
links?

> I do not intend to discuss the respective merits of OSPF
> vs. IS-IS right now. ;-) My idea was since I would need
> to introduce a new routing protocol, anyway, why not
> switch to IS-IS and run single-topology? The v4 config
> cited above does indeed work as it should.

I'd recommend doing Multi-Topology IS-IS. It will make
integrating IPv6 into your network easier, as practically,
devices at either end of an IS-IS adjacency are often
incongruent in their IPv4 and IPv6 topology state, as you
turn IPv6 on.

> Redistribution per se is working fine. It’s the
> limitation to my own prefix (which I want) that does not
> work. If I introduce an arbitrary v6 address not
> belonging to me (the systems are not productive, yet),
> via, say, Loopback1, this will be distributed to all
> IS-IS peers despite the route-map.

I've always found route filtering in IGP's to be awkward
because unlike BGP, IGP's splash LSP's (or LSA's in the case
OSPF) on to the wire, and not actual routing updates that
contain prefixes.

LSP's are what hold the actual NLRI. Since you can't really
filter LSP's, prefix filtering in IGP's becomes voodoo.

That said, I always teach that loop avoidance in IGP's is
possible due to a consistent view of the IGP state by all
routers participating in the IGP. Filtering, of any kind,
breaks that, and that is why the IGP's aren't converged
until they can confirm this.

It may not be what you want to hear right now, but something
to think about as you continue your build.

> Nope - all connected interfaces are visible on all peer
> routers. Looks like the IS-IS routing process is
> ignoring the route-map alltogether.

Are you running IS-IS on non-internal links?

Mark.