[c-nsp] Next step-up from 7206VXR

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Feb 19 18:39:42 EST 2013

The Sup720-3bxl (and Sup2T and RSP720) will run out of tcam before
the "churn of [a couple of] full feeds" makes them non-viable.

We're getting close to a repeat of 2008, where lots of 6500s (those still
running Sup2s) were inching up against their maximum supported routes when
dealing with full views.  Sometime in the next year or so, the default
IPv4/IPv6 split on the best Sups you can get today are going run out of
IPv4 FIB TCAM.  Some will tune (or already have tuned) the split to buy
another year or so, others will do so only after some head scratching when
their 6500s fall over.

The question is, will cisco release a bigger FIB TCAM sup for the 6500, or
will they allow this product line to end its useful life as a full
view internet router in order to push people into ASRs or competitors'
products?