[c-nsp] 7204VXR reboots

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Fri Jan 11 14:20:33 EST 2013

We have a 7204VXR / NPE-G1 with 1GB RAM running 12.4(15)T5 which is
rebooting by itself every 4-5 days.

About 11 BGP peers, 4 GRE tunnels, 4 interfaces in use plus a T1,
pushing about 100Mbps traffic.

We've failed over to an identical standby router, all the same specs,
and the same thing happens!

Output interpreter of the crashinfo files states:

---

*%ERR-1-FATAL:*  Fatal error interrupt

*Explanation:*  This error message indicates a Hardware problem in the device.
*Recommended Action:*  To troubleshoot try this:
  1. Reload the device with no modules installed and check if the message appears.
  2. Reload the device with each successive module and check to see if a certain
  module or mis-seated module is causing this issue.

--

I'm thinking maybe a buffer is filling up. Little skittish about trying
to adjust buffers, though.

Thinking of putting 12.2(40) on the router, which has been running fine
in a separate environment on a 7206VXR/NPE400.

Cisco states that 12.2(4)BW or 12.2(8)B or later are required for an
NPE-G1. Not sure what the B means. Do you think 12.2(40) would work?

If anyone has any other tips or suggestions, they are welcome.

Thanks.
Adam