[c-nsp] stp on me3600 on efp's with locally connected older switch

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sun Jan 27 18:04:28 EST 2013

On 25/01/2013 19:45, Gert Doering wrote:
> Which is not god-given but a design decision by certain BUs that *should*
> be able to get a faster CPU than a Z80 these days...

but where do you want to stop?  128 vlans means 128 customers with a single
vlan each.  What happens when you want 2000 customers or 4094 customers?
If you have a switch accepting hellos every 2 seconds per vlan and then
running the spanning tree calculation for each of these every time a
designated link flaps, you'll trash any cpu.  The protocol itself doesn't
scale - it's great for small networks but it cannot scale beyond relatively
small installations.

Nick