[c-nsp] Flow based RED

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Thu Jun 6 13:12:42 EDT 2013

I am not sure microflow policing is what is needed here...

RED or WRED is supported on GSR and CRS. It is very widely deployed.

UDP does not react well to WRED, and you get most of the benefit for TCP based flows, which would slow down on a single drop, while UDP would not react... Sometimes it would just be worse... It would retransmit.

Try to split the classes in such a way that your bursty UDP traffic hits a tail drop policy. It does not have to be a separate class, but could be just a different WRED profile with the min/max thresholds being equal (or very close, which is virtually a tail drop policy).

Look at QOS-Group based WRED. QOS-Group is a local property you can assign different flow types (using an MQC policy on ingress) even if they use the same DSCP/Prec markings.
This would be difficult on an MPLS P node, as it only sees the MPLS labels...

Arie