[c-nsp] BGP Route Dampening

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Mon Mar 11 08:12:45 EDT 2013

RIPEs view on this is:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-378

And in short: Dated 2006...
4.0 Recommendation

This Routing Working Group document proposes that with the current
implementations of BGP flap damping, the application of flap damping in ISP
networks is NOT recommended. The recommendations given in ripe-229 and
previous documents [2] are considered obsolete henceforth.

If flap damping is implemented, the ISP operating that network will cause
side-effects to their customers and the Internet users of their customers'
content and services as described in the previous sections. These
side-effects would quite likely be worse than the impact caused by simply
not running flap damping at all.