[c-nsp] entry-level 10gbps for exchange

randal k cisconsp at data102.com
Fri Mar 15 18:40:42 EDT 2013

We are considering connecting to the Any2-LA exchange. We are very familiar
with exchanges, but this one is a twist as would happen at 10gbps, with a
~2gbps line rate.

We have a standard edge/core/dist/access network, and our hangup is edging
10gbps. Our edge router requirements are that it carries at least 128k
routes and has comprehensive Netflow, and has at least 3x 10gbps ports --
one to the exchange, and one to each core.

Where does this fit into the Cisco product line up? My instant reaction as
ASR1004 + SIPs & SPAs, but holy cow that gets incredibly expensive very
fast. As a Cisco shop, we'd like to keep the equipment the same, but things
like a Dell R510+10gig NICs and Vyatta are quickly becoming an option as it
costs 1/8th as much. I've been bouncing around the 4948M idea, but not
enough ports. I love 6500s, but their Netflow sucks. If only they made a
7206-NPE10g ;-)

Any input is heartily appreciated!

Randal