[c-nsp] Chassis Switch "Parity Errors"

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed May 8 05:47:27 EDT 2013

On 05/08/2013 10:42 AM, Blake Pfankuch - Mailing List wrote:
> Ok, this could get a little silly... I have 6 4000/6000 series
> chassis switches.  The first crash was a WS-C6509-NEB-A on Tuesday at
> 0216 last week.  This morning (Wednesday) at 0233 I had a WS-C4506
> crash.  Crash info on both devices cites a parity error as reason for
> reboot.
>
> Aside from radiation shielding in the datacenter to block solar
> flares, any suggestions on further debugging or prevention of these
> errors?

In theory it could be bad hardware; a bad batch of RAM or something. But
IMO it's unlikely.

If they're "real" parity errors, there's nothing to be done - it's a
statistical thing, and you just have to live wth / ignore them.

Also, it need not be solar flares; ambient ionising radiation comes from
many sources, depending on your local geography (amongst other things).